First Aid at Work is Beneficial to Everyone
First Aid at Work is Beneficial to Everyone

First Aid in National News Media

'The first-aid lessons that saved my brother'

'The first-aid lessons that saved my brother'

by JAYA NARAIN, Daily Mail


A boy of ten saved his brother's life using first-aid skills he learned on a school visit to a hospital just days before.

Louis Edwards was in his bedroom watching a video with his brothers Bradley, eight, and three-year-old Jake, when the toddler swallowed a commemorative coin.

Jake was fighting for breath so Louis ordered Bradley to fetch their mother.But when Jake began to turn purple, Louis realised there was no time to waste.He put Jake over his knee and slapped him on the back four times.

Jake coughed up the coin - about the size of a 50p piece - just as his mother Rachael and father Nick arrived in the room to take over.Yesterday his family, from Chester, and teachers praised him for his cool thinking.

Mrs Edwards, 33, said: 'Bradley was screaming hysterically when he came running downstairs, saying that Jake had swallowed something and wasn't breathing.'When we burst into the room, Louis was still hitting Jake's back and he was really purple.

'Then Jake vomited and brought the coin back.

'Louis just said it was a good job Jake had thrown up at that point or he would have had to do the fifth slap in the stomach, which he had been shown at the hospital.

'I was shaking like a leaf but Louis was quite calm about it.'

Mr Edwards, also 33, added: 'It is lucky he was there because Jake was in some difficulty.'Apart from shock, however, Jake was fine after his ordeal.

Louis had been to the Countess of Chester Hospital with 50 other pupils from Woodfield primary as part of a programme to ease their fears should they ever need treatment.During the visit, they were given life-saving advice, including what to do if someone was choking.

Mrs Edwards said: 'He obviously remembered everything and I'm so glad he did.'

Diane Kennedy, his headteacher, said: 'We are very proud of Louis for his quick thinking.'

You can learn these skills by attending a course run by ATH Training in Southend


A CHEF helped to save the life of a man who suffered a horrific cut to his arm.


The 49-year-old victim, known only as Kevin, had a deep laceration to his left wrist which was spraying blood up to 12 feet in the air in Alexandra Road, Southend.

He was seen staggering down the street at about 8pm on Tuesday with blood gushing from the wound, leaving a trail on the floor and high above doorways.

Onlookers watched in horror as the man, who was clearly distressed, smeared his blood on shop windows and banged against the glass.


Luke Circus, a chef at San Fairie Ann, told how when he saw the commotion his first aid training kicked in.

The 25-year-old said: “He was sitting on the floor slumped over, blood was absolutely everywhere.

“There were a lot of people standing around doing nothing. I ran over and laid him down, put his legs straight and his arm above his heart.

“I asked him his name and what had happened. I checked his airways and made sure his eyes were alright.

“I bandaged it up because it was a very deep cut and put pressure on the wound. You could see down to the bone, it was gory.”

Mr Circus said he understood the man might have cut his arm by punching the window of a house in nearby Devereux Road.

He said more people should be first aid trained because the injury could easily have proved fatal. “He was losing a lot of blood,” he said.

Learn these skills and much more on a course run locally by ATH



ATH Training Southend

Repton Grove, Southend, Essex



Head Office:  ATH Training Group Ltd 

Suite 3, 572 Ipswich Road





Phone: 01206 807552





ProTrainings Approved Centre #90373

Get social with us.

Print Print | Sitemap
© ATH First Aid Training - Essex